CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:42:54 +0100
alister air wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Unsurprisingly, it shows appalling stupidity to have included Iran (I know
> little about North Korea, so won't comment).  Iran is in the middle of a
> long-running, massive reform movement.  The President is elected, and is
> engaging in reform far beyond the religious leaders, and has had some
> meaningful wins recently.  With the US now calling Iran "evil", the
> hardliners have received a huge boost.
>
> I find it frightening that Colin Powell is considered a dove in this
> administration.

That's only using dove as a relative term, of course.  But Powell isn't
a hawk in the abolute sense, IMO.  I disagree with a view that he
belongs in the same category as Kissinger, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Perl, et
al.  He is a soldier, and he is accepting and following the orders of
his commander.  He must do that to remain in the administration, and,
given the rest of the current crew, I would much rather have him there
than not there.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188