CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 10:40:14 +0200
Michael Pugliese wrote:

> [...]

When Windschuttle writes rationalize, dores he mean explain, or does he
mean justify?  If he means explain, why doesn't he write explain, since
explain is a better word. If he means justify, then his essay is
balderdash, since Chomsky didn't try to justify the attack.

What I think is that Windschuttle meant justify and knew that he would
be libeling Chomsky if he wrote justify, so he wrote rationalize, which
can mean explain but which normally means justify. I also think Michael
knows this.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188