From:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:48:20 -0500

Hi All,

Way back in January I posted a question regarding Celiac and PMS,
could their be a connection and what could help clear the symptoms of
PMS.  I was at my wits end.

I received 64 responses to my question.  I appreciate all the
heartfelt empathy, comfort, encouragement and so much good
information.  Someone ought to write a book.  I found some solutions
that work for me including cutting out sugar, exercise, cutting out
chocolate, and using supplements such as magnesium, potassium, zinc,
B-6,  milk thistle, vitamin B complex, molybdenum (to help body get
rid of excess copper) and Dong Quai.   Don't worry, I don't take them
all at all times of the month.  I also removed copper from my body
that was wreaking havoc with it.  See the first post re: this.  I am
already off coffee, teas with caffeine, yeast, and dairy.  Yet there
is more to do.

Contained in this summary is information on alternative medicines and
treatments, conventional medicines and treatments, possible medical
causes of depression and PMS symptoms,  information on menopause,
peri-menopause, nutritional aids and ideas on what to leave out of
the diet, what to include in the diet, information on exercise,
depression and the celiac body, informational sources, vendors and
good old common sense, and wisdom.  It is chalked full of this and
more.

Goodness, we are courageous people.  People with an incredible amount
of wisdom and experience between us.  I am impressed with what one
group of hardy folk know about themselves and each other.  I am so
proud of all of you, and to be among you.  Thank you for being so
wonderful and supportive.  I could not have done it without you.  We
cannot do this alone.  Together we are great.

Elizabeth

P. S. Love to all my evil twins out there.

Here is what we said, and as always, take what you need and leave the rest:

Another important factor in all of this was to have my copper
containing IUD removed.  Apparently elevated copper levels in the
body rise and fall as the hormonal levels do.  The symptoms of an
elevated copper level include irritability and mood swings at least.
I did indeed have an elevated copper level and took the IUD out.
Several months have passed and I feel much better (now there's an
understatement.)
-
Have you tried St. John's Wort?  Kava Kava is also an herbal remedy
supposed to relax, as is Valerian. You can get these things at the
health food store or some drug stores.
-
- Two weeks prior take Milk Thistle, Evening Primrose, and Glutamine
(with OJ or a juice).

- Two weeks prior eliminate carbohydrates and concentrate on proteins
from broccoli, vegetables, etc., if you want carb's try and eat rice.
Stay away from potatoes etc., the starches. Have lots of juice and
fruit and snack throughout the day rather than big meals.

- One week prior start communicating with yourself regarding what
you're going to experience in the days to come, take lots of personal
space. I sometimes lie down for 20 minutes close my eyes and
concentrate on my internal body, muscles, eyes, back, ovaries, etc.
Envision blood flowing and with that envision peace and patience with
that pain. Most importantly I take lots of deep slow breathes.
-
I have found that taking calcium and magnesium tablets has helped
greatly with PMS. Exercise too is helpful.
-
Are you getting your B-vitamins? They are responsible for much of our
emotional health, nerve, tissue, and growth and it's something that
is difficult to supplement in a wheat-free diet. Red meat and beans
are good sources of B vitamins. You could supplement and look into
other good food sources too. Have you had your blood tested for
vitamin deficiencies? I was reading on the Nature Made vitamin web
site about Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
(http://content.intramedicine.com/PVT/monographs/conVMNH.asp?mtyp=vmn
) and
it looks like it may help ease PMS and also helps prevent depression.
I think you would need to check with your doctor. You certainly don't
want to take toxic levels of something or that could be dangerous.
-
  insufficient niacin (a B vitamin) is linked to depression.
-
eliminate as much processed white sugar from my diet as possible and
I've stopped drinking any soda pop - not even the diet ones. One
other change that I've made is to cut down on caffeine.
-
I would suggest you to go to this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages/ ( very cool site)
-
I had terrible pms and heavy bleeding all my life and it worsened
with celiac disease.  I think it may have been due to low thyroid and
shortage of Vit K  (which promotes clotting).   I don't want to scare
you but it got so bad that  I had a total hysterectomy.
-
Interestingly as my gut healed my depression and PMS symptoms
diminished.  Eventually I was able to go off of all antidepressant
medications.  I've since learned that serotonin is created in the
stomach and intestines.  Obviously if you still suffer from any sort
of intestinal damage your body won't be producing enough serotonin,
and consequently you'll develop depression and other symptoms.
Suggested St. John's Wort, eliminate yeast, discontinue salty foods,
processed foods high in salt, foods high in potassium such as
cantalope, and watermelon, your blood pressure will stay lower, as
will your irritation level. I learned about the benefits of onions,
of all things.  It seems they're great for stabilizing menstrual
cramps, clotting and blood flow.  Up until a month ago (I just had
gallbladder surgery) I ate at least two Walla Walla onions per day.
Amazingly, if you don't eat yeast containing food at the same time
you eat your onions, you won't get gas.  Boy was that a surprise.

A popular cure for PMS is chocolate, which contains an enzyme that
mimics the sensation of being in love.  (I'm not making this up)
This enzyme is called phenolamine (I'm sure I've skewered the
spelling), and it imparts a feeling of well being and helps ease PMS
symptoms A LOT. If you're lactose intolerant (as I am) you can add a
little pure coco powder to your favorite beverage or gluten free
cookie mix.

Lastly, the best and most reliable cure for depression and PMS is
regular exercise.   Exercise increases your endorphin levels, lowers
your cortosol levels (stress hormones) all of which in increases your
body's serotonin producing ability.
-
  I started taking GNC's PMS formula multi-vitamins.  Then, earlier
this year, those ratbastards changed the formula...  The only
difference between the new formula and the old was valerian root and
black current oil...  So I take the GNC Womans' Mega Vitamin and then
on Tues + Thurs I take black current oil and Wed + Fridays I take the
valerian root.  [ the 2xweek thing balances out to about the same
dosage as in the old formula.]  Seems to have done the trick. Tread
lightly with valerian  -- it is the herbal version of valium and can
cause depression  ... I've heard that from another list I'm on  ...
-
You may just be in perimenopause.  Your hormones are now lower and
nasty emotions come.  I didn't believe in PMS until I started to get
really bad after 45.  Lo-estrin helped for a while, but when the dr.
increased the dose I had more problems.  Talk to your ob-gyn.  Later
I learned about Dr. John Lee's book What Your Doctor May Not Have
Told You about Menopause (and now has one on Perimenopause).  I've
been doing natural progesterone and am much better.

-
First, talk to your doctor.  They sometimes have different
alternatives (which can include pain killers and even hormonal
treatments).

Next, I found that exercise has been a big help in easing PMS
symptoms.  I hate doing it.  I struggle to
make myself do it.  But, when I finish I feel much better.  It helps
me sleep better and improves my mood.  Again, this is something to
discuss with your doctor.
-