From:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:06:09 -0500

Hi Listmates,

The overwhelming consensus was that lime water was not harmful unless
something was added to the lime water that contained gluten.  Most
respondents stated that Mission Chips are gluten free according to
the company and had no problem with them.

One person reported that they could not eat Mission brand tortilla chips.

They contain lots of stuff that "could" be harmful to us Celiacs -
partially hydrolyzed oils, "natural flavors", soybean oil (soy can be
real hard on a Celiac) MSG (can be hidden, and some Celiacs are very
sensitive to it. If it is not made in the U.S., it can also contain
gluten). I have found that the only safe tortilla chips for me (no
matter what Frito Lay or any of the other companies want to say about
their products being "gluten free") is a brand called "Arizona Brand
Tortilla Chips"

Another person told of a reaction she had to Mission chips from the
use of genetically altered corn.

I had a really bad reaction to Mission Brand corn chips a couple of years
ago.  Within seconds of eating a handful of chips, a lymph gland on the left
side of my neck swelled to the size of a golf ball!  It scared the daylights
out of me.  Later I heard in the news that they'd recalled that particular
batch as because it contained the new genetically mutated form of corn.

It might be worth it to check and see if Mission has gone back to using this
new corn.

I know that natural flavors can be a problem for folks, like the
little girl who had the reaction, on a GFCF diet.  Thanks for all
your input.

Elizabeth Carter Collin
Madison, WI