From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:31:01 +0900

> I think that's going to be true for most people. Not
> that I'm a scientist or anything but I think  we were
> designed to enjoy more foods than we dislike, to help
> us survive. If under the threat of starvation, we
> could palate some food that was only marginally
> nutritious, that may have made the difference between
> life and death. So having an open ended taste sense
> was good biology.

I think there is a little more to it as well. Some foods which are
very hard to get too much of in the wild, and are not our normal diet,
may have exagerated "good" taste in order to encourage us to eat them.
We don't need meat to taste extra good, because it is the basic food
we eat every day. It just tastes normal. But fruit is full of vitamins
and sugar, it is good for us if we do not eat huge amounts every day
for years. Eventually the body overloads, and diabetes results in our
modern world. That probably never happened to our ancestors. Salt is
the same. Every mammal craves salt, but only humans can easily satisfy
that craving. Our satisfaction level is set higher than our level for
best health, because of millions of years of low salt. There is a
balance between how hard it was to get the food, and how much benefit
we got from it. Animals go to great lengths to get a little extra
salt. We just shake it on.

I feel that a little salt a few times a week is probably a benefit,
every day (as I use it) is too much for best health. Sugar is the
same, a few fruits and veggies are no problem, even every day, but the
huge amounts I used to eat were bad. Even grains, that we love to
hate, as a holiday treat , why not? Every day, no. So I eat the
occasional pizza without guilt. (Well, I think guilt is a strange
emotion to feel for food anyway).

I have to reset my eating every week or so. I tend to gradually
increase my sweets from the level I set, oh just one more bite of
black chocolate... then I have to go back to low carbs for a day or
two. It is a regular cycle of my taste wanting sugar and my mind
saying no, it is too much. I don't need anywhere near the level of
sugar I used to eat. A little fruit or a bite of semi-sweet chocolate
suffices most of the time now. Even carrots taste distinctly sweet now.