From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:36:30 -0400
ginny wilken wrote:

> >Does farm raised salmon have a good omega 3 ratio?
> >
> >How can we find fresh wild salmon?
>
> Farm raised salmon absolutely does not have a good Omega 3 ratio.
> They are fed corn and soy, and are so crowded together they fail to
> develop the red coloring of healthy muscle, and so are fed food coloring.

Interestingly, though, we got some smoked Norwegian salmon at Costco
that says on it that the farm-raised salmon they use are fed no grain
products and no hormones or antibiotics. They don't say what they are
feeding them. Elsewhere I read a critique of salmon farming that said
one of the main foods given was fish meal (whatever that is), which
sounds better than corn or soy but still might not make for a optimal
piece of fish if the fats in the fish meal are oxidized. I wish I knew
how to find out, because the price is pretty amazing for smoked salmon.

> Look and ask for anything that says "wild". Trader Joe's has two
> varieties that look "legal".

We have recently tried the frozen Alaskan wild king salmon from Trader
Joe's, and it is very good. It doesn't seem to be too damaged in texture
by the freezing, maybe because king is so fatty. At $5 something a pound
it's a great deal.

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT