From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:52:30 -0500
Richard Geller wrote:

> From: "Marianne Fuller" <[log in to unmask]>
> > from the various posts on this subject, it sort of sounds like
> > cod liver oil is actually the BEST way to get omega 3s, and the
> > cheapest. Better than flax
> >

> I *think* you still want to consume plenty of omega 3 in the form of
> flaxseed oil. If you consume vegetable oils including olive oil and
> eat nuts you will be getting far too much omega 6/9 and you will
> probably want the flaxseed oil to restore the proper ratio.
>
> Does this sound right? Thanks

Don't you get good amounts of omega threes from eating game meat or
grass-fed beef? If that's the kind of meat you eat, along with
occasional
Alaskan salmon, I shouldn't think you would need supplements.

Frozen Alaskan king salmon is available for about seven dollars a pound
shipped, but you have to buy a whole fish (or you can get it for even
less and in smaller pieces at Trader Joe's, if you're near a store). If
anyone is interested I can tell you the source in Kake, Alaska. You can
even get fresh king salmon shipped priority FedEx for $8 or $9 per
pound.

I've been getting the message lately that flax oil is not such a good
idea, that it's better to get EPA and DHA from natural meat, brains
(does anyone out there eat brains?), or fish, instead of the ALA of
flax, unless you're trying something extreme like Budwig's cancer
therapy.

Also, I'm not aware of any problem with consuming high amounts of omega
9. I haven't heard that n9 needs to be balanced out by n3 the way n6
needs to be. It's really just the n6 that is the problem, from what I've
been reading.