From:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:09:03 -0500

A few more comments came in about the amino acid, Glutamine, since my
summary:

I have been taking the Vitamin Shoppe's L-glutamine capsules for over a
year and it has healed my gut. I am not as allergic as I used to be
thanks to L-glutamine. I don't think this brand is made from wheat
berries.

I take Solgar l-glut in Vegicaps (I'm vegan). The label clearly states
it is free of wheat (the other post discussed wheat as a possible
ingredient), as well as corn, yeast, soy, and dairy. It does not state
that the product is g-f, but wheat seems to be the issue.

It is interesting to me that glutamine appears to be derived from wheat--
when I was first identifying my gut problems three years ago, I was told
to try eliminating gluten from my diet--and I felt somewhat better--but
I was also given Glutamine to heal my gut--and I had trouble for many
more months, and when I had my biopsy a year later, the doctor informed
me that I was still getting gluten from somewhere--I couldn't understand
this, because I had been so careful.

I remember how much better I started to feel after I stopped taking
Glutamine.

Dr. Thorsby spoke on autoimmune diseases at the last American Society
for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics meeting.  He explained that
gluten

is a number of proteins and that gliaden is the one involved in celiac.
There is nothing in the amino sequence of gliaden to cause the reaction
that celiacs have until tissue transglutaminase changes the molecule.
Then the sequence is right so that when it is broken into peptides
(short amino acid chains) it will fit in HLA DQ2 or DQ8 and produce the
immune reaction.

I checked the Immunepro site listed.  Since the glutamine is bonded to
other amino acids in an oligopeptide chain, I would be very concerned
about where the glutamines are linked, because if it is the right
configuration it could start the celiac process all over again.  It
doesn't sound safe to me.

I've been taking L-Glutamine for about 10 years, first for brain
fog/memory problems secondary to chronic fatigue syndrome.  It has been
very helpful for that.  If I go off for a few days, I can start to feel
the negative effects.  I was taking 500 mg 3x/day.  When intestinal
problems became more obvious in the last 1 1/2 years, I increased to 2
grams 2x/day.  I was diagnosed with CD recently and have not noticed any

reaction to L-Glutamine.  I am now familiar with reactions to hidden
gluten, and I just don't have any such reaction or any other negative
reaction that I can discern.  I have many food sensitivities besides
gluten.  L-glutamine is not one of them.

 After ruling out allergies to chocolate, smoked fish, dairy and eggs, I
decided to try L-glutamine.  It has made a tremenduous difference.  I am
feeling well again.  What I believe I had was an ulcerative condition
(leaky gut) in adition to CD.  Now I am on the road to being better
thanks to L-glutamine.  So, based on my experience I think we are
sharing our ignorance--it is more likely that the "wheat berries" are
from buckwheat than regular wheat.  Rather than speculate and sound
hysterical based on the name, we should investigate more and find out.

So there you have it.  Another gluten enigma.

Steve