From:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:42:35 -0500

I originally posted a message concerning fruit and vegetable washes -
whether the "natural" cleaners were gluten free, since they often
contained citric acid. These products are important because we our
intestines are more permeable which could lead to parasite problems due
to organic produce.

-------------------------------------

Regarding Earth Friendly Products:

We have spoken to our suppliers and they indicate that our citric
acid is gluten free.  They are forwarding us a letter confirming this
too.  Thanks again for being a concerned consumer.

John
--
John Vlahakis
Earth Friendly Products

847-446-4441 x14
847-446-4437 Fax

-------------------------------------

I just saw your post to the Celiac List about Earth Friendly Products'
fruit and vegetable wash.  I have used and prefer their F & V wash to
anything else I have used so far.  It is not as citrusy smelling as,
say, Environne' brand.  It rinses off better, too.

So far as I know, it is usually made from corn, to which I am very
sensitive.  I am also very sensitive to orange, which seems to be the
citrus odor favored at this time.

I am considering making my own F & V wash by diluting some Granny's Old
Fashioned "Rich 'N Radiant" shampoo.  It too has citric acid, which the
label says is made from grapefruit.  It seems to be OK as a shampoo.
Since shampoo is designed to remove oils, I figure it might work to
remove the

waxes from produce.  I haven't tried it yet to see how it works.  If it
does, it would be a lot less expensive.

I have also been told that "Bi-o-kleen" produce wash is Gluten free by
the company.

The people at "Veggie-Wash" also state they are gluten free but were not
sure where the manufacturers obtained their citric acid.

Steve