From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:11:42 -0800

>I'm afraid that it's either the board or the CPU. At this point, I'm not
>sure which it could be, but I'd sure welcome any suggestions.
>Drew Dunn
>The NOSPIN Group

Hi Drew,

You are not clear on this point  but it sounds like you have no video at all?
Assuming that the CPU is not over clocked then statistics would favor the
motherboard.

I have had this exact symptom on two occasions when I have lost a BIOS.
Everything powers up but no beeps, no nothing.
In fact this just happened to me. But in both cases I brought them on by
doing something. It wasn't a gradual thing. The only time I ever had a
problem with spontaneous boots it turned out to be a bad SIMM.

When I have had a BIOS failure, both times I lost the motherboard BIOS and
the CPU or slotkey. The only way you are going to know  for sure, is to
swap out the CPU and see if the board boots. If it doesn't boot then put
the CPU in another board and see if the CPU works. Even if it doesn't, you
may be able to bring the board back to life with a new BIOS.

You will have to test everything separately to be sure. In my most recent
experience,  troubleshooting a similar case, I put a new CPU / slotkey in a
ABIT BE6 II and everything went dead as you described.  I then bought a new
BIOS and it didn't help...then just for the hell of it I stuck another CPU
in the board and was amazed to see the display come up! It turned out I
lost the motherboard BIOS and the BIOS  that was on the old MCI slotkey for
the CPU. Fortunately the new ASUS slotkey and new CPU, which precipitated
the disaster was undamaged.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group