Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:35:03 -0800
On 9 Jan 2002, at 5:56, Jagpal S.Tiwana wrote:

> A friend called me to check why his one of speakers stopped
> producing voice. The main speaker which is connected to the sound
> board in the computer and has the power on /off switch is not
> relaying any voice, but the other speaker which is hooked to this
> speaker is giving all the voice of the CD  music disc.

> we bought a new set of speakers, but the same story. This , he
> says, most likely happened when he was trying to play on some music
> files or installing Music Match , but he cant recall for sure. we
> have checked all the mute colums and checked them properly

> He is running Win 98 on P 333 with 128 RAM
> Plz advise
> Jagpal S.Tiwana
>
> http://home.istar.ca/~cye/mss.html

  Is the sound cble from the first speaker plugged directly into the
sound card?  or is there and extension being used to allow the
speakers to be placed further away from the system unti?

  Stereo sound calls for two sound signals and a ground, a minimum of
three wires.  Typically, all three come from the sound card to the
first speaker, and one ("channel") signal and the ground continue
continue to the second speaker.
  So when I here that sound is coming from only one speaker, mys
suspicions are that either (a) the other speaker is broke, or (b)
only one sound channel is coming through from the sound card.  One of
the simplest *easily fixable* scenarios that could produce result (b)
is if a monaural (one sound channel + ground) cable extension is
being used between the first speaker and the sound card....

Dave Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com