From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:29:29 -0400
I suspect that your problem is your mobo and BIOS not capable of recognizing such a big drive.  A celeron 360 is an old chip which must still be on the original mobo.  Something that old is going to have a problem with such a big drive.  Western Digital makes a DOS app called EZ Drive that runs with the boot up, and will allow your BIOS to see this drive.  I am not sure it works with drives other than WD's, so if someone else knows of a similar program that for sure works with Maxtor drives, time to check in.  You could go to Maxtor's web page to see if they have such an app.

>I have been trying to get 2 hard drives to be visible to my system.  I have
>a celeron 360, WinME, 1 20G Maxtor drive and a drive that came with the
>computer (6 G)...It was suggested by someone on the list that I may have a
>problem having two drives on the same IDE cable and to have one cable with
>CD and Hard Drive, the other IDE with CDRW and other HD.  I tried that and
>was careful with master/slave arrangement.
>
>It didn't work...In fact it only gave me my 6G HD (which is really not the
>drive I need (It doesn't have all of my data on it!)
>
>So, I tried to go back to the way it was...I put both CD drives on one IDE
>and then the two HDs on the other.  Still didn't get back to the way it was.
>So, I disconnected the HD (6 Gig) that I didn't really want and only had one
>drive on the IDE.  The drive is a Maxtor and therefore is not what windows
>thinks is "ATAPI compatible"  (whatever that means.)  I've tried to use the
>Maxtor boot disk to run fdisk and it will only let me format the disk...(it
>has over 10 G of stuff on it!).  And, using a WinME boot disk doesn't work
>because it doesn't find the Maxtor drive ("no fixed disk present" error
>message.
>
>Is there any hope getting all of my drive and the info on the drive back??

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml