Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 06:40:09 -0800
On 28 Nov 2001, at 1:54, Ethan T. Matthews wrote:

> I run a 19" monitor with a 1600x1200 resolution, 32-bit color and a
> 75Hz refresh rate (I can't use 85Hz because it makes rolling, fuzzy
> black lines for some strange reason).  Anyway, there is no way I could
> run that resolution and refresh rate with my old 16 megabyte Creative
> Labs video card.  It just wasn't capable.  I now use a 64 megabyte
> card which can handle this without breaking a sweat.

  4x1600x1200 = 4x16x12x100x100
              = 64x12x10000
              = 7680000

which is somewhat less than 8 MB.

  I do not doubt that your old video card did not offer support for
this video mode.  I just want to point out that the issue was NOT
that at 16 MB it did not have sufficient RAM to support this mode.
The limitation you encountered was in the video coprocessor chip, its
on-board ROM code, or the available drivers, and your new card gets
around that -- in addition to possibly adding more RAM as well.

Dave Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml