From:
Marg Belliveau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:31:37 -0400
Install WinXp OEM Version

A.  I install it on a new computer (or hard disk drive taken down to "bare
metal") from the DOS prompt with a Windows 98 Startup floppy
(http://duxcw.com/digest/Fromshop/software/windows/startup/startup.htm). Put
a copy of smartdrv.exe on the Startup floppy. You should be able to find a
copy on and existing Windows 9x/Me computer at C:\windows. It is on the CD's
in D:\Win98.  Boot to the floppy and use fdisk to partition the drive (the
process the same as that at
http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/fdisk.htm.

Format the C: drive. Do not install the system files. If you have more than
one partition, they can be formatted during the Windows XP installation or
with Windows XP after it is installed. Also, use fdisk to manually make C:
active if there is more one partition. Load smartdrv.exe.

A:\>smartdrv.exe

.and run D:\i386\winnet.exe, where D: is your CD-ROM drive.

Do not delete or reformat C: with this method.  Winnt.exe copies the install
files to that partition.