From:
Ed Nottingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:40:39 -0500
While I have no experience with Win 2K, I can share my XP experience.  First caveat:  Unless there is a compelling need to upgrade an OS that is working, don't!  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I had a compelling reason to upgrade my office (Micron Millennia 800, 512 RAM), and did so about two months ago - from Win98SE to XP.  The installation took, and I'm not exaggerating, over 40 hours including: multiple installs of old programs that required reinstallation, purchase of new sound card (Aureal less than a year old would not work), hours of tweaking, etc.  Now the good news, XP is outstanding in turms of stability, and I can run anything (and I do run multiple, large programs throughout the day) without the old "low system resource" problems.  The only programs that did not run were some old utilities I had downloaded, and really didn't need with XP.  A very old DOS program that I thought would never run, runs fine.  Getting Roxio's Easy CD Creator Platinum to run was a chore, but it and all other programs run well.  Startup time is a fraction of the 98SE.  There are still program crashes, but only the program closes without the BSDs.  I'm very pleased, especially as the trauma of the upgrade fades :-)

Ed Nottingham