C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:21:16 -0500
Wow, Stephen, my hat's off to you.  Sounds like you've adjusted very well
and have things in perspective.  I, too, am somewhat limited in my job
advancement because of my disability, but I've been quite fortunate in being
able to do something I really love, which is working with computers and
database systems.  I think it's great you're looking for another job.  Hang
in there!  It'll happen if you persevere. It might take a long time but
it'll happen.  I speak from experience.

I agree with you regarding accepting one's disabilities; however I think
sometimes one tends to not push the envelope because one thinks he can't do
anything beyond what is familiar.  I think it's good to venture out and test
our limits as long as we're careful not to injure ourselves or others.  I am
talking about psychological limitations as well as physical ones.  It's all
too easy to sit back and let others control your life; personally speaking,
it takes so much energy and effort for me to make it on my own that there
are days when I'm too exhausted to stay awake.  But I keep on doing what I
must and not accepting society's stereotypes of disabled people as mere
objects.   It's hard and there are times when I just want to chuck it and
stay in bed and not go out and face the world.  However my parents never let
me give in to my self-pity and I refuse to start now.

As for suicide issues, well, I only need look again to my parents, both of
whom died after long battles with pain.  My father suffered through 18
months of inoperable cancer before succumbing to it, and my mother suffered
for five years from an irreversible lung disease before dying.  Neither of
them ever talked about suicide let alone attempted it.  My woes seem petty
compared to theirs.

Like I said, hang in there!

    Kat