C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:24:48 EST
Kathy Jo:

I hope and pray you are getting the help you need so you never attempt to
hurt yourself as well as other people again. When you grabbed the steering
wheel you could have killed or seriously injured yourself, your attendant and
anyone else on the road. I do not want to be mean or cruel but why are you
telling us this story? I would be too embarrassed and ashamed to tell people
I attempted suicide and tried to take others with me. I hope you do not want
sympathy and I hope you can admit your mistakes and learn from them.

There are many physically disabled adults that do become depressed and we
need to encourage them to live the best lives they can as you should do. One
reason is that we cannot accept our disabilities. I accept what I can and
cannot do. I set realistic goals for myself and I understand I will not
accomplish everything I set out to do. When I do not accomplish goals I
evaluate what I did and how I can improve myself by learning from these
experiences. I have a part-time job as a File Clerk and I've been attempting
to get a different job but so far I am stuck doing this job. I will not quit
because I get paid well and quitting goes against what I believe in.  I want
to get a part-time job using my people and computer skills. As a 42 year old
man with CP I understand what is keeping me from getting a better job and
living the life I want to live. My disability is a factor and there are many
things I cannot do and I accept that but at times people in society have used
my disability against me. What I will continue to do is to try to educate
people that despite walking funny, having bad hand and eye coordination and
having a speech defect I have goals, dreams and desires like anyone else. I
will not allow people to change me and I will not use my CP as an excuse for
not trying to improve. I may feel down at times that some people categorize
me but I refuse to wallow in self pity. I am going to take two computer
courses next month and I will soon volunteer at a local Easter Seal Society.
I understand I will not change the world on the way people with disabilities
are treated but I will live my life the best way I can and make adjustments
when needed.

I hope you can do the same.

Stephen Allman