C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:30:31 +0800
Especially adults for whom one is working.  I'm really disturbed by
the idea that a lot of people have that pwd have to be `nice' and
`polite' in order for us to continue recieving assistance.  Every one
has bad days, and it is extremely oppressive to have to meet
unrealistic expectations on how to behave.  Especially if we are
otherwise decent and respectful human beings, as I know you are Mag.
Most AB's would have trouble being polite when they haven't had enough
sleep, or are in a lot of pain.  I imagine you have no problems
treating your assistants with respect and dignity 99% of the time.
You are paying for the assistance that you get - it should not be
conditional on you being `nice' all the time.  I haven't met the
person yet who can do that (and frankly, I don't much want to).
I'm probably not making sense, I have a migraine and my neck is
killing me, but it seems to me that part of being a full human being
is having the right not to be perfect.  Just my two cents worth.

BTW Mag, how IS your pain, any releif on the horizon?

Rayna

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:47:34AM -0500, Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D. wrote:
    Also, "scold" is usually construed in my mind as an act performed by adults
    and directed toward unruly children! Adults should not be scolded.

    Bobby