C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:14:27 -0500
Well, I welcome change myself, as I like challenges.  However I personally
know a lot of disabled people who hate changes, I think, because they fear
the unknown.  Also, those who don't work out in the workforce often don't
become used to change, and it's hard for them to deal with.

Another factor, as your co-worker demonstrated, is a lot of disabled people
fear those able-bodied people who don't know them won't understand them.
When I've had a new boss, I normally book a meeting with them and go over my
accomplishments and abilities, and any adaptations I need in order to
accomplish my job, like an amplified handset, a special keyboard holder,
etc. so they know why I need such things.

        Kat