C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:01:15 +0000
On Friday 09 Nov 2001 6:34 pm, Michael H Collis wrote:
> Bobby, Joanne and Mag,
>
> I think Matt is trying to say that the reason doctors, and to a
> large extent, people in general have a negative concept of
> spasticity is because spasticity isn't "normal."  Most spastic
> c.p.er's require a wheelchair to get around, further aggravating
> the negativity.  As I've pointed out, walking is very overrated.  I
> don't think with my feet...
>
> Human beings being what we are, we really don't like differences in
> other people or ourselves.  When we perceive something is other
> than the norm, our tendency is to try to bring it to the norm (i.e.
> be ablebodied), be it through surgery, drugs, or what have you.  I
> like Betty's term for this. She calls it "ABLEISM."   That's not to
> say we can't improve through therapy, assistive tech, and/or other
> ways, as long as we realize we may never be at the norm.
>
> mike

See, I don't see it as "bringing it to the norm", its about improving
quality of life. If a drug was invented which allowed CPers to fly,
thus alleviating all mobility issues, this would not be "normal", but
would you take it. If your answer is yes, then you are not aiming for
"normalcy", you are looking to improve quality of life. In the same
way, if AB's don't usually get spasms and pain at night, choosing to
take a drug which controls this, should not be dismissed as apeing
the norm.

Cheers

Deri