From:
Hutton, Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:35:16 -0600

No baking. No crust to fuss with.  Put it in a pie shell or serve in custard
cups.

Even prior to my GF days this was always my favorite pie.

PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE

1       envelope (l tablespoon) unflavored gelatine
1/4     cup cold water
3       eggs, separated
1/2     cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/4   cups solid pack canned pumpkin
1/2     cup milk
1/2     teaspoon ground ginger
3/4     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4     teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2     teaspoon ground allspice
1/2     cup granulated sugar

if you are good with pie shells;

1       9 or 10 inch baked pie shell

Soften gelatine in cold water.  Combine together in heavy saucepan the egg
yolks, brown sugar, pumpkin, milk, salt, and spices.  Cook over low heat,
stirring continually until thick and smooth.  Remove from heat.  Stir in
gelatin until dissolved.  Chill until mixture thickens to consistency of
unbeaten egg white.  Place the egg whites in small bowl. Beat at high for 1
minute or until very foamy.  Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a
time, continuing to beat at high until stiff peaks form.  Transfer to large
mixer bowl.  Mixing at low add pumpkin mixture slowly, mixing for l minute
or until well blended, moving bowl control back and forth frequently during
mixing.  Stop mixer; scrape sides of bowl and beater.

Pour mixture into baked pie shell.  If desired, garnish with pecan halves.

Chill for 2 hours or longer before serving.