From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 14:20:50 -0400
Well, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but... where does one
find a butcher these days?  I can't think of a single one outside of a
supermarket.  I'd love to improve the quality of the meats I'm getting, but
I don't know where to go

Thanks,
John Pavao

----------
Joy - re: the incidence of cancer among meat-eaters. Some of this
is due to the meat being "contaminated" with chemicals as the
animals are fed.  A good way to ensure this will not happen to
you would be to eat chemical-free animal flesh. Shelton's
Turkeys, (California or Arizona), Coleman Beef (Colorado),
Homestead Beef (Texas) are some companies I am familiar with. If
there are hunters in your area you could watch for hunting season
and hunters who advertise an excess for sale during hunting
season and freeze it. Watch the local paper want ads for
neighbors who have eggs for sale (and maybe chickens). It's just
as though you are looking for "organic" meat. The best part of
this will be an increase in flavor in the meat/poultry you buy.
When I was reading the Ketogenic Diet Digest (ketosquish.com)
there were parents trying to feed their epileptic children in an
organic manner on a ketogenic diet. (There is some discussion
about epilepsy being an autoimmune disease. The diet works in
these children just like it works in adults - their bodies burn
the fat in the diet instead of carbohydrates.) Anyway these
parents were looking for "green bacon" - Bacon that had not been
treated in anyway - not even salted. Their investigation at the
John Hopkins Hospital was to find a butcher (I think a kosher
butcher)  to get their bacon from. When they wanted salted bacon,
they added it themselves. It was very successful for those kids,
and it would probably work for you, too. The green bacon doesn't
keep well without refrigeration, and the flavor is milder (no
salt!). You could probably find green bacon at any butcher, or
arrange with your health food store to order it for you.