From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:59:10 EDT
I used to use psyllium daily but it makes my stomach pretty bloated.  Also, I
am struggling to understand why I would need a non-food fiber such as
psyllium if the paleo diet is so healthy.  Flax fiber is similar to psyllium
in that it contains lots of soluable fiber but it has the advantage of also
being a food (although I understand that many of you out there do not
consider flax to be a food suitable for human consumption.)  Perhaps because
I cannot tolerate all the sugar in fruit, I am missing out on the laxative
effect fruit has.  Another thought --maybe my thyroid is a bit sluggish
despite "normal" readings.  Hair loss and constipation are supposed to be
symptoms.  I think I could find an alternative doctor who would prescribe a
trial dose of Armour thyroid, but I am afraid that it could downregulate my
own body's production of thyroid.  I just wish diet alone could fix all
health issues!  I cannot imagine abandoning the paleo diet (or way of eating
-- it's not really a diet) because I enjoy the food so much and it has helped
me lose weight and consistently keep my triglycerides low (important because
everybody in my family except for me has type 2 diabetes).  I really
appreciate everyone taking time to give me suggestions -- I find this board
so helpful!