From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 17:05:10 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:

> I *am* living it, and I don't believe it.  For me, it doesn't
> work this way.  I tried following Ray Audette's meal plan for a
> week and gained 4 pounds, right around the waist.
>
> And for the record, the elevated cholesterol has not responded
> significantly.  As of last measurement, it was back up to 293.

The lists of meals in NeanderThin are not intended to be meal plans. They are just
examples of Ray's daily eating patterns. For someone trying to lose weight, we
have often found that it is necessary to remove fruit from one's diet, along with
any other foods relatively rich in carbs (starchy vegetables and nuts). Ray has
found a way of pursuing a Paleolithic dietary model which works well for him. I
follow a similar, though slightly altered form, of Ray's diet, concentrating more
on green vegetables and small amounts of low sugar fruits, along with my daily two
or three pounds of red meat.

We have also found that adding a bit more physical activity can spur weight loss.
I lift weights 2-4 times a week, run sprints, and take leisurely 20-30 minute
walks (but my total exercise time for the week is probably less than four hours).
I also park my vehicle on the lowest parking level at work so I can walk several
flights of stairs a day. See Art De Vany's page for more paleofitness info.:
<http://www.socsci.uci.edu/econ/personnel/devany/EvFitTOC.html>.

I also wonder, Todd, if you are using any prescription medications for your
cholesterol. Some NeanderThin dieters have noticed that their prescription
medication begins to have the opposite effect once they start eating NeanderThin.
Also, what are your serum ratios of LDL to HDL and LDL to Total Cholesterol? These
are the telling numbers.

Don't give up.

Troy Gilchrist