From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 23:36:37 -0500
The reason any food would be considered "not very paleo" is because of
its protein content. If the human body in nature (absent technology)
would never be exposed to the proteins that make up a substance, the
immune system is not designed to respond to it. Such proteins cause
confusion in the immune system, causing it to attack both the alien
proteins and the body's own tissues. This is the definition of an
autoimmune disorder.

Butter is probably the least offensive dairy product from the standpoint
of Paleolithic nutrition, because it contains the least milk proteins of
any dairy product. Having an even more reduced protein content than
butter, ghee would probably be even less offensive as regards the
autoimmune system.

Of course any use of a civilized food entails autoimmune risk (different
levels of risk for different people, as everyone has a different immune
system). Really the only way to find out how your body will tolerate and
respond to the inclusion of butter or ghee in your diet is to try it. If
it hurts, don't do it.