From:
Drew Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:26:33 -0400
Yeah,
i have been fixing monitors for most of my life and i have found that if an
old monitor still powers on and some kind of a picture comes up on the
screen that there is a good chance that this easy method will repair it
somewhat. I warn you that it is crude but it has worked 6 out of the 7 or so
times i have done it. First thing, are you experienced and comfortable
working with lethal amounts of electricity? If not, leave the unit unplugged
for about a day or so to be sure that the capacitors have discharged. If you
are, leave it unplugged for a while anyway. Pull the cover off the monitor.
I'm guessing that an old monitor like yours is probably really dusty. Youll
notice that most of the dust is very dark in color. If you have smoked
around your computer (which is one of the worst things you can do around
your computer), there will be lots of a lighter colored dust. Both of these
dusts have varying conductive properties which can really ruin a monitor by
making it dimmer and slowly shorting out circuits. This dust has to be
cleaned off. If you have acess to an air compresssor, blast the dust off
throughly. Be careful not to blow off any of the components. You should then
wipe it down with a damp rag gently to remove dust that the compressed air
didn't.