Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:04:55 -0700
  Let's see, one sector = 512 bytes so that dictates a table:

sectors/  cluster    FAT12    FAT16    FAT32
cluster   size

   1         512       2 MB    32 MB     2 GB
   2        1 KB       4 MB    64 MB     4 GB
   4        2 KB       8 MB   128 MB     8 GB
   8        4 KB      16 MB   256 MB    16 GB
  16        8 KB      32 MB   512 MB    32 GB
  32       16 KB       N/A      1 GB    64 GB
  64       32 KB       N/A      2 GB   128 GB
 128       64 KB       N/A     *4 GB   256 GB

* 4 GB FAT16 partitions are supported only by NT/2000.

  So, on the one hand:  yes, it is true that a larger partition size
can require a larger cluster size, and hence more wasted space.
  But on the other hand, increasing the partition size from 1 GB to 2
GB under FAT16 increases the cluster size from 16K to 32K, whereas in
your samples partitions which are 7~8 GB are using clusters that are
only 4~8K.  (As we can see from the table, these clusters are
actually larger than theoretically necessary, but the 4K (.00005%)
difference is a much tinier portion of the drive than the 16K (.8%)
difference FAT16 would introduce.)

Dave Gillett