From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:19:35 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Irena Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 10:07 AM

Herbert,
 The HD is working, but in a sluggish way. What I am missing under HD
controllers is the line referring to Intel.

Irena.
------

Irena,
You should have under device manager, hard disk controllers,
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

The Intel line I think you are looking for refers to Bus Mastering IDE.  Did
you ever see it on this Gateway, or have you seen it on another pc and are
now assuming it should be the same on the Gateway?  This old Gateway won't
support bus mastering so it would NOT mention Intel in the controller
drivers section.  The IDE drivers are generic ones that ship from microsoft.
The main reason drivers are missing and the drive is sluggish, is because
windows is in dos compatibility mode.  This is typically caused by an
unsupported device on the ide channel, a drive that has been compressed, or
a drive that is using overlay software to get around a bios that won't
recognize its size correctly.
Under system properties, performance, your file system should say '32 bit'.
If it doesn't, you are missing drivers for the ide.  The reason the drivers
won't install is another matter, but it could be the compatibility mode
issue I mentioned above.
Tom Turak

Tom Turak

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,