NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angel Katinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:21:44 EDT
Let's see, it could be the nitrites. A lot of people have asthma-like
reactions to nitrites and nitrates. It could be the citric acid (can be from
corn, among other foods, many of which could cause a reaction). Although, in
many people the corn causes diarrhea, but can cause asthma-like reactions,
also. I don't remember what type of reaction you said you child was having,
sorry.
The natural flavors might be a problem. By FDA law, a company can put
anything from nature in a natural flavoring (their way of hiding things they
don't want you to know about), there can end up being some really nasty
things in it or it can be completely benign and simple.
The of course you have all the preservatives (BHA & BHT). Many people have
very bad reactions to them. Is your son allergic to aspirin-like components
(salicylates)?
I'll send you some things to watch out for (off list) and look into the
source of the citric acid for you and get back later.
Angel

In a message dated 4/14/2003 9:21:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> This is interesting, thanks. What other item in the pepperoni could be
> giving my daughter the same allergy reaction as dairy?
> Armour pepperoni ingredients:
> Pork, beef, salt, contains 2% or less of flavoring, lactic acid starter
> culture, oleoresin of paprika, sodium nitrite, spices, sugar, bha, bht,
> citric acid
>
> Thanks,
> Cindy and Isabel

"Beautiful light is born of darkness,