CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MJordan672 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 09:28:31 EST

Pat, Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I have been thinking of you and
Chris a lot, but never seem to get the time to write back.  You seem so up
beat about everything!  At the beginning of the school year, we arranged for
the cafeteria to refrigerate and heat their lunches as needed.  But after a
couple weeks of them getting comfortable with their classmates,  one would get
in the lunch serving line to pick up the lunches and the other would pick up
their milk.  Then it progressed to no one going through the line, because it
took too long.  It interfered with going out for recess!  That recess is my
pet peeve about their school.  If they are done with lunch after 15 min, they
get to go outside for recess.  THe kids that aren't, have to change tables to
the "finishing" table.  So, Thomas (non-diabetic) refuses to take much in his
lunch. Lately, just a bag of chips and a can of fruit.   Joseph is not much
better.  He wants to get outside quickly, too.  There have been a few days
when he was low in the afternoon before PE or on his way home from school,
only to find out that he didn't touch his sandwich.   He rarely takes
vegetables any more.  So I get pretty frustrated with making their lunches.
They won't take meat or cheeses, either.  Both boys are picky eaters and have
different likes and dislikes, so it gets pretty frustrating in the kitchen.
Otherwise, they are both doing well except for a couple bouts  with the flu.
They too are doing well in school and are pretty active, especially around
8:00 PM!!!

I have to admit, since the guidelines on simple carbs changed, I have been
allowing a lot more sugar into Joseph's diet than he probably should.  I give
extra insullin for it, but we shall see.  I am awaiting the results of his
A1C.  We meet with the endocrinologist and staff this week.
The boys like Pamela's shortbread cookies,  and I think the choco chips, but
we haven't tried those in a long time.  We got a mini donut maker for
Christmas which they like a lot, but the recipes they like are loaded with
sugar.  I figure 3 mini donuts are 1 starch and 1 fruit exchange.
By the way,  is Lititz in the SE corner of Pa?  Near Amish country?  For some
reason, I think of it near Bird-in-Hand, or Lancaster.  I am originally froom
NW PA.  My whole family is still there.  I did spend about 6 years in State
College.  I miss it a lot, though I really like this part of Kansas.
Well, I had better go,  I hope I didn't unload on you!  It was great hearing
from you!

Mary, in Manhattan, Kansas