From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 05:57:35 -0400

The Celiac Sprue Assocation's Website @ csaceliac.org in its directory
lists the following chapter... "Gluten-Free vs Gluten-Restricted"
subtitled "One Molecule may be as bad as 10,000"...[ I made it a lb]

In the chapter, the last paragraph states: "Douglas, reviewing the work
of Mortimer, eta concluded that ONCE A CELIAC, ALWAYS A CELIAC [their
emphasis] and that the requirement of a gluten-free diet in true celiac
disease islifelong.  Similarly, McNeish stated that because there are no
means to predict future responses to gluten, the safest advice to
patients with diagnosed conditions of celiac disease and/or dermatitius
herpetiformis just be to adhere to a strict gluten free diet
infefinitely.  The message:

ONE MOILECULE OF ATOXIC GLIADIN MAY BE AS DAMAGING AS 10,000 " [their
emphasis]

I have been a member of this list for almost five years and have found
members to be supportive and helpful.  However, with this last
discussion, that changed. Altho most of the posts I received were polite
and helpful...and supportived, I also receive a few posts from some ill
mannered louts who have obviously forgotten the good manners taught them
in childhood.  We have enough problems with getting ourselves taken
seriously without this kind of situation occuring.

Ann Sokolowski