From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 03:33:00 UTC

Crackers are as easy to make as cookies, and like homemade cookies, they
are best homemade.

 -----------------------------------

 -== Yogurt Thins ==-

Adapted from the book =Crackers!= The original authors said of this
cracker, "The flavor of these crispy snacks varies with the type of yogurt
used. A bit of sweet jam or honey complements these somewhat tangy
crackers. They are also excellent with almost any dip."

2 cups GF flour*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F

In the food processor or in a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and
xanthan gum. Add the oil and mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add the yogurt and blend to form a dough that will hold together in a
cohesive ball. If necessary, add additional yogurt, a Tablespoon at a time
until it reaches the right consistency.

Divide the dough into 2 equal portions for rolling. On a GF-floured surface
or pastry cloth, roll in a rectangujlar shape 1/8 inch thick. Using a
spatula, rolling pin, or your hands, pick up the rolled dough and transfer
it to a large baking sheet. (Alternatively, you can use a knife to cut
these crackers into 2-inch squares before moving them to the cookie sheet.)

With a sharp knife, score the surface into 2-inch squares, taking care not
to cut all the way through the dough.  Pierce each square in 2 or 3 places
with the tines of a fork.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown.  Turn over once during baking
and pull off any individual crackers at the edges that are already brown.
Cool on a rack. Yield: 80-85

Variations: A sweeter cracker will result by substituting sweetened yogurt
for the plain yogurt. Lemon and berry flavors are good. If you use
fruit-at-the-bottom yogurt, be sure to stir it first. Note that the color
can be affected by the type of yogurt used.  To make this cracker a
special, sweet treat for children, before removing the rolled dough to a
cookie sheet, sprinkle with plain or colored sugar, and roll over this with
a rolling pin to press the sugar into the cracker.

 * 2 parts white rice flour
2/3 parts potato starch flour
1/3 part tapioca flour

   This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1995-1997 by
   Linda Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
   this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
   newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

If there's any enthusiasm for them, I have other cracker recipes.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX