From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:58:43 -0700
Hi Michael,

I'm afraid the answer on this is the short one.  The P5-133 was a single
voltage chip.  The AMD K6-III is a dual voltage chip.  There are rumors that
a 233Mhz single voltage chip was made, but I've never been able to track one
down.  The best you would be able to do is the 200Mhz chip you mention, but
you have to make DARN sure that you get a single-voltage, non-MMX chip.  A
dual-voltage chip simply won't work.

I would question the fact that you're motherboard is an ATX board.  While
not impossible, I have never seen an ATX connector on a socket 5 board, and
rarely on a socket 7, though they were pretty common on the super-socket
7's.  Somebody may need to correct me on this.

If it is indeed an ATX board, I would suggest upgrading to a new board and
chip.  You probably have SIMM memory, so you would need to look for a board
that would have SIMM slots, but you should be able to find both board and
chip for under $100, including shipping.

Good luck.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"