From:
Jay Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:26:41 EDT
I have had similar problems w/sound cards. If I remember correctly, the
procedure to fix it is as follows:
1) Remove the sound card and reboot.
2) Go to Add new hardware and install the (Creative 16 SB compatible) driver.
3) Reboot and then go to Device Manager and put a check mark in the Disable
in this profile check box.
4) Shut down the computer and reinstall the sound card.
5) Reboot and it should be okay with the only problem is you won't be able to
use the sound card in DOS mode.  There will also be a red X in the sound
blaster under device manager, but it shouldn't affect you in Windows mode.
The reason all of this is necessary is that the sound card needs IRQ 5 which
is probably being used by another device.
Good Luck,
Jay Merritt

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml