From:
Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:32:28 +1000
Hi

I have just set up my 2 computers as a LAN, using a crossover cable and no
hub.  everything seemed to be working fine until I noticed that  computer A
would freeze during the loading of windows, unless I have  computer B
going.  When A is frozen the light on the network  card is flickering
constantly. It is necessary to hit the reset button and boot into safe mode.
  If I delete the protocols IPX/SPX and netbeui (I have tried both), it
boots without computer B being logged on.

I have reinstalled the network card, as initially there were 2
installations of it showing up under control pannel/networking, and this
was causing double entries of each protocol I installed, I mistakenly
thought this could have been causing the problem.

Computer B boots properly with both IPX/SPX  and Netbeui installed whether
or not comp A is online.

Entries listed in control pannel/networks:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial up adapter
Realtek RTL 8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Nic
TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter
TCP/IP -> Realtek RTL 8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Nic
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Both computers have shared level access control, all drives on both
machines are set for full sharing.

I was advised to check for mapped network drives in "my Computer" but only
local drives are listed.

Strangely I am still able to access files across the LAN with only the
TCP/IP protocol installed.  With this setup and when viewing the network on
comp A  It is necessary to go to Network Neighborhood /Entire
network/Workgroup to access comp B.  When viewing the network on comp B,
comp A shows up in Network Neighborhood as normal.

The only other problem I encountered was, I was unable to print from comp A
to the local printer on compB.  I could however do the reverse, print from
B to A's local printer.

As I still seem to have file sharing via TCP/IP ???? the dirty fix would be
to only install the IPX/SPX Protocol when I need to have a gaming session......

Always having the second computer on is not an option.
Here's hoping someone knows how to fix this problem.

Hardware - Comp A:
AsusA7M266 Mainboard
AMD Athlon 1333 CPU
512meg DDR RAM