From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:04:33 -0400
Okay the gross Linux newbie is here. I am making another head first jump into Linux my first being with Corel. I never got any further than loading it. I have decided to go with Slackware and what I did was order the whole package including the text book. Yes I realize that all of this is available for download but with my luck my windows computer will crash and I will not have internet access. God I hope not I won't be able to read my email either. Now for the questions

1. Slackware talks about hejaz.dsk for the boot disk, what is this ?  A search on google only turned up three sites and two of them were for slackware and don't give a definition the other was in Japanese's, needless to say I don't.

2. I use a program on my windows 98 se box called rawrite to create the slackware boot disk and the root disk. I had no problem creating the boot disk but every time I go to create the root disk . The rawrite says I have a bad sector. I have tried this with several different floppies and get the same error. What gives?

3. A biggie question here. I am looking to set up this Linux box with the bare minimum right now. A floppy drive, hard drive, CD-Rom, and a basic video card ( stealth diamond with an s3 chip the old standard. ). What is done with Linux if I decide to upgrade a piece of hardware or add one or even up the RAM. Please be easy when you answer this technical stuff could confuse me. And I will be force to ask more stupid questions. :-)

4. I would eventually like the Linux box to be my server for my home network. Does Linux have a built in DHCP setup or equal? Or is there an add on I that I must download to use Linux as a Server?

5. Does Linux have a RAM limitation like Win98se ( 512 ) or does Linux behave better the more RAM I use with it?

I have Slackware 8 that I will be using and I am slowly reading through the manual and I am hoping to get a response from their forum but I figure the more people I ask the better my chance at getting an answer.

Brendhan Horne

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>