From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:30:14 -0400
> After having done another format and reinstall, I have two questions:
>
> Do others have an order of program installation, such as, first OS, then
> antiviral program, then word processor, etc?
>
> Do others have a routine for mitigating problems, such as, running
> Scandisk between each program installation?

When doing an install after a format C:\ or any install I do. This is the
procedure I follow.
1. Bios check set up bios for an install, if I don't it doesn't install.
2. Install the base operating system with a minimal amount of equipment.
Floppy drive, Hard drive, Cd-rom, video card not high end agp.
3. As the install takes place it will ask for the driver for the video card
. I will then install that.
4. When installation of OS is complete.I will reset my bios and I stick with
my drivers first.  Motherboard drivers also go here.Video (high end) this
may mean I change the card after a shutdown. Sound card, Modem card, and
perphials such as printers and scanners and their ilk. If it requires a
driver I go with it first. Adding a second CD-rom or second video card also
takes place at this stage. With Windows there is a lot of restarting the
computer so it is a good time for me to add hardware. I also test printers
at this stage
5. Major stand alone programs. Like M$ office, Adobe Acrobat, and Anti Virus
programs. Power Desk also goes in at this stage for me .
6. Secondary programs such as Photoshop, media players, IM. Things like that
please note I do not do a lot of configuring to these programs at this time
and I am not connecting to the internet for anything yet. I do not register
my programs via the internet I mail them I do not want an internet
connection yet.
7. I will now configure desktop themes and begin setting up dial up
settings.
8. I now connect to the internet using a dial up, not a dsl if possible. The
reason being is I have a security hole ridden computer. You can connect
using DSL or cable but have your firewall in place. I will go the OS updates
site and download all critical patches. I will also install recommended
updates that suit my needs.
9. Get program updates via cnet or zdet. These are the patches for programs
I have already installed on my system.
10. I will now tweak out programs and OS operations  to the specs I need.
Install backup files here. that are things like address books ICQ number and
contacts.
11. Go to the web and get the programs that I wanted but don't have external
copies of.
12. Once all of that is done, I will run scan disk and defrag most of time
things are pretty good. I also run regcleaner very important and adaware. I
start making final checks on things and security items such a port scan from
shields up. modem and / or DSL speed checks. If all of that passes first
time around I go back and check because it usually means I screwed up. :-)
Things almost never go completely right first time out.

If I am having a repeat problem with a fresh install that is not going away.
I usually will try to find the program or item that is the culprit and if
possible remove it. If is an essential item or program, and I do not have
fix for it. I may not do the install it is not worth trying to load programs
and hardware on a system that is being temperamental at an early stage . It
will only make things worse as they go along.
Thanks,
Brendhan Horne

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com