From:
Dan Kucherich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:55:35 -0400
Hi,

Do you have Internet coming into your network?  If so, can you
still get out to the Internet with the hub connected?  Can you
ping the IP addresses of any other computers outside of the
church?  If so, TCP/IP is working but not IPX for some reason.
If you can't then there might be an incompatibility with the
Network card (NIC) in your computer and the hub (even though you
have link lights).

I've had this trouble before with certain Kingston NIC's and HP
hubs.  Got link lights but no communication.  I had to put 3Com's
in.  In this case, make sure that you have the latest driver for
the NIC in your computer.  If it still doesn't talk with the
server, try installing a different NIC or a different hub if
available and see if they talk then.

Dan Kucherich

> Greetings,
> I've been helping to connect a Axis 2100 web cam to my church's
network for
> a big conference next week.  The web cam has an Ethernet
connection and will
> run completely independent of a PC.
>
> There is only 1 Ethernet line running into the worship center,
so I
> disconnected that line from the computer and installed a small
hub.  The
> hub's up-link port was connected to the incoming line.  The
computer and web
> cam were then connected to the hub.  The lights on the hub
indicate the
> uplink, computer and web cam are working.  Have I done anything
wrong to
> this point?
>
> When the computer is powered on, it skips the Novell network
login and shows
> a Windows login screen.  When you try manually to log in to the
Novell
> network, you receive a message that the network is not
available.  When I
> remove the hub and connect the computer directly to the
incoming line, then