From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:51:02 -0400
Hi Susan.
Some friends of mine who live out in the sticks in Missouri got a sattelite
connection recently. So far it's been  pretty fast and reliable. The only
thing they noticed taht there is some notable latency,  that it there is a
noticable amount of time from when they enter a command (i.e. open a web
page or start a telnet connection) and the time the command is carried out.
They say it's totally livable though. Satellite sounds like the way to go
for you, since the further you are from your local phone switch the worse
your DSL conection can be, and I'll wager you probably live pretty far from
your local switch. :)

Glenn

> Could someone please tell me which is faster and more reliable, DSL or
> Satelite?  DSL is not yet available in my area, but Satelite is.  I live
in
> the country, if that makes any difference.  My phone line is currently
> connecting at 28,800 and I have a 56K modem.  I was connecting much faster
> until I added a second phoneline.  I have called the phone company several
> times and of course, they say that nothing is wrong with my line.  So I've
> given up on that.  Sure could use some input because I know nothing about
DSL