From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:35:09 -0500
This is possible.  You should look at the rated watts of both power
supplies. If the good power supply's rating is 200 watts, or, the good power
supply is rated GREATER than the bad power supply even if it is less than
200 watts, it will work.    You will notice that the power supply wires
connecting to the motherboard are color coded the same on both power
supplies so it is easy to make this connection properly.   Since the pentium
board is smaller than the 286 board, it may be a little difficult getting it
mounted. Take care to allow no more than 1 metal on metal grounded contact
between the board and case when mounting it so you do not have any
electrical shorts.  Too many steel screws and the risk of a short increases,
these are very hard to find, although they rarely cause permanent damage.
Where I couldn't salvage enough of the little plastic stand-off mounting
posts, I used to use plastic 1/8 inch diameter threaded bolts and washers
from a plumbing supplier.  A short just prevents the board from booting,
typically the boot fails with a lot of beeping, but sometimes the power
supply acts like its gone bad, the fan doesn't even spin.
Tom Turak