From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:15:22 -0500
If you are looking for speed, your system already has enough ram to reach
the point of diminishing returns.  You have probably exceeded the amount of
ram that the board can cache, (typically 64 meg with Triton VX and TX
chipsets)and I am mildly surprised the system is stable.  I have had to
disable the external cache via the cmos setup settings to get 96 or 128 meg
of ram onto my Triton boards, your board appears to have a better design.
Add in win95, and you will gain little in performance now adding ram.  That
said, the system definitely can handle 4 32 meg simms for 128 total, and
likely will allow 4 64 meg simms.  The ram expansion will allow some huge
programs to load and run, if you have any.  However, due to the other
components and the nature of edo ram, the speed is going to be major, major,
slow.  If you are interested in just having more windows open at one time,
consider the performance of your hard disk.  If your current disk is slow, A
nice snappy drive will help here more than additional ram.
By the way, triton 430vx is a socket seven chipset, which does not support
super-seven cpus like the AMD 333, so if your message isn't a typo, your
system is over-clocked. Are you using an Evergreen Upgrade CPU or similar
product that plugs into the zif socket?
Tom Turak