From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 10:18:03 -0700

I just wanted to share some food for thought.

First of all, thanks again to all that shared their information and
knowledge on diagnosis by x-ray.

I talked to my dad today and he had the x-ray done.  The doctor told him
that it looks like he "might" have a "small case of celiac".

Then he starts telling me how my aunt (the mother of my cousin that died
last month, who supposedly had celiac and never ate a gf diet) has been
having diarrhea a lot.  He found it funny that my aunt and her family
seem to get the flu a lot.  (What comes to mind is what I've heard about
how something traumatic bringing the symptoms of celiac on)

It goes without saying what I told my dad about his doctor and my aunt.

I thought my son (who has celiac) had the flu for a year.  We were
always careful not to catch it and then I wised up and I had to get mad
with my pediatrician before he would do any tests.

My e-mail is not to rowl anyone up.  I think we all know that our
doctors need to be educated.  I "do" know that there are many excellent
gastroenterologists out there.  I applaud them. The unfortunate thing is
the ones out there that have no idea what celiac is or they know but
they don't know how to look for it.  I think it's our job to push these
people (like my dad) to get the right answers.  I remember thinking as a
child that doctors "knew all".  It wasn't until I had kids that I
realized they don't.  It's very disillusioning.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this personal information.  If there is
success in the end for my story, I will let you know.  Thanks for
listening.  Sidona