From:
ETLehner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:13:06 -0400
Hello everyone,

I've been an intermittent lurker for the last few years, and have recently
re-subbed.  I've just had the following problem occur, and I hope someone
out there may know of something I can do to solve it.

My spouse, while flipping circuit breakers in our basement without realizing
that I was upstairs working on his computer (I'm now writing from mine),
shut off the power to the machine while it was in the process of a Defrag.
I have a UPS on my machine, but his only has a surge protector (he doesn't
use it a whole lot, it's usually off), so it of course went black.

Now it won't get past the line in the Award BIOS boot process
"Verifying DMI Pool Data..."
when trying to reboot.  It doesn't even get as far as looking for an OS, so
I can't try to boot to a floppy and re-flash the BIOS (if that is what needs
done, I am just guessing).  If I just let it sit, it doesn't do anything,
just stalls at that line (right after it's checked for boot sector viruses
with the on-chip checker).

I am stumped.  What can or should I do, if anything?  Anyone have any
suggestions?  (Besides getting another UPS, that is.
Hubby-in-the-very-big-doghouse has already been informed that he's buying
one, immediately.)  This was my first recourse to try to find some help; the
list has been very valuable to me in the past, and I hope can be so again!

Many thanks for any replies, which can be posted and/or emailed to me at

Eileen Lehner
8/9/01  1911edt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml