From:
mary schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:03:15 -0600

I'm sharinging this response from Quest (a Canadian company) for your
information. It was most encouraging for me to receive such a positive
reply ... and now that I know it was my "special treat" whose label I didn't
bother to read lately (it had stopped saying 'gluten free' and now lists
wheat fibre and malt extract in it's ingredients), I can continue to take
these vitamins with confidence.  It's great to know that one voice can make
a difference in a company's label.

Yikes, you sure have to be diligent about what you stuff into your mouth,
don't you!!!

THIS IS QUEST'S RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION:

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your patronage to the Quest brand.

The formulas for Super Once A Day and Mega B-100 have not changed and do not
include any gluten. We moved to the "wheat free" to cover off gluten but
reading your message I can now appreciate that including "gluten free" would
be more specific and helpful.

This change will be made on upcoming labels.

Thank you for your input.

Matthew James
Brand and New Product Development Manager
Boehringer Ingelheim, Consumer Health Care

THIS WAS MY QUESTION TO QUEST:

Our family has been taking Quest Super One a Day and Mega B 100 for a
 long, long time now. I have celiac disease and cannot ingest gluten
 (wheat, rye, oats, barley). Your products in the past stated "gluten
 free", but the last bottles we purchased do not state this. They do state
 "wheat free", but for a celiac, that is insufficient.

 Can you tell me if these products continue to be gluten-free? I have been
 having some adverse reaction to something lately and am trying to locate
 the source. I decided to discontinue taking these two products this
 morning to see what happens, but since celiacs have a malabsorption
 problem, I don't like to be without vitamins for very long. Your early
 response would be much appreciated.

 Thank you.