From:
Pamela A. O'Keefe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 22:31:53 -0600

of flames!  Respsonse were mixed, as you can see.   For some, oatmeal in
general, and McCann's in particular, are no problem; for others, oats are
just as bad as anything else; still others just haven't bothered to take
the risk (and I can't say as I blame them).

If I get any more responses, I'll summarize again.

******************

it gave me worst reaction  of anything

******************

        I am a biopsy diagnosed celiac and I like oatmeal. I have eaten
it for at least 30 years with never a reaction. I tempted fate after
going without it for several years by making a granola and eating a
teaspoonful a day for more than a month. I didn't even tell my husband I
was doing it because he had lived through too many sick spells with me!
It has been a good addition to my diet and I think we need it. I know
the oats are safe in themselves, but there is a danger of contamination.
I am willing to take that risk.

        I've used most any kind, Quaker and oatmeal in bags in the health
food stores.

I live in USA, Maine to be more specific. I've been diagnosed for more
than 40 years. I am very careful all the time because a mistake is very
painful.

*******************

Please let me know what you've find out.  I've been thinking of using
McCain's. Until a month ago when I was diagnosed I ate them all the time
and they actually soothed my stomach.

********************

My friend from Ireland, a biopsy diagnosed celiac, can't eat
oatmeal...Irish or not.  It makes him sick.

******************

I have "heard" that McCann's Irish oatmeal is pure.

But I have never attempted to contact the company myself.

*****************

All the studies in the last ten years or so show oats to be safe. I have
personally spoken to Don Kasarda, world's premier celiac grain expert,
who tells me that oats are not contaminated enough to be a problem.
(Remember that EVERYTHING is contaminated to one degree or another).

*******************

I've eaten McCann's oatmeal without adverse effects for 3 years now. I
usually use teh ones that come in a canister. They're great!

*******************

From what I've researched, McCann's has probably the least chance of
contamination since wheat is rarely (if ever??) grown in Ireland which is
where these oats come from.  I haven't had any problems in eating these -
both the longer cooking and the quick cooking.  And if anyone gives you
flack about oats containing gluten, they aren't up on the latest
research.

Pay them no mind.  You are not damaging your kids!

********************

The problem, as I understand it, is not the oats, but cross
contamination.

Oats as a crop are generally rotated in the field with wheat or another
gluten containing grain and there are usually volunteer plants from the
previous year that get harvested with the subsequent year.

Also in the milling of the oats there is the same issue of contamination
as there may also be in the processing of the cereal.

Many believe that oats are acceptable for those with celiac disease, but
everything I have read has always been footnoted to point out the
improbability of getting a pure oat product.

*********************

I live in NJ but hold a more "European" attitude.  I recently bought
McCanns but haven't made them yet.  I was only diagnosed about 4 months
ago so I was waiting till I'd healed a little more before introducing
them.  According to the research I've done, one serving a day isn't
supposed to be harmful.  That's more than I would eat -- maybe 2 or 3
times a week -- so I think it should be just fine.

***********************

I eat oatmeal nearly every morning and enjoy it.  It does not contain
gluten.  Some oats may be contaminated just as any other food and some
people may have a separate reaction to oatmeal.

But Oatmeal does NOT contain gluten!!

FWIW

********************

I have also been wondering about McCann's oatmeal.  I've read several
studies that indicate that oats do not contain gluten, but that the oat
crop in the US is contaminated with wheat as they are grown together.
As McCann's is Irish, I don't know what the verdict would be.  Prior to
going GF, I ate it and can't remember how I felt afterward, but I know
that Quaker Instant Oatmeal made me very sick.  Here's hoping you get
some positive responses.

*******************

I'm not commenting on the oatmeal.  I feel we each have a right
to choose which products we feel safe in testing ourselves.

What I thought I might share with you is that Bob's Red Mill
puts out a new hot cereal that is a pretty good substitute.  I
really do miss oatmeal, but am afraid to try any brand, as I
gave up eating it ten years before the DX of CD.  It caused me
more problems than wheat did.  Anyway, Bob's now has a room
dedicated to GF flours etc.  See if any of the stores in your
area are carrying it.

*******************

I spoke to Odlum's last year and the manager said they cannot recommend
for celiacs, since they do not know what contamination may have occurred
between field and mill.  He said that one of the owner's children has
celiac and so they are very aware.  I connected through email and I may
still have a copy if you would like to see it.   You will find the web
site through the name Odlums.

******************

I wrote to the company by email and got this response:

While McCann's oats are processed in a dedicated oatmeal mill, there is
possible cross contamination within the supply chain (i.e. between the
field and our factory) with other grains  We approximate that the admix
is less than 0.05%. We do not hold McCann's oats to be totally gluten
free and recommend that our customers use their own judgment. Sincerely
Carol Baldwin [log in to unmask]

******************

I do not eat oats, but I have found a great substitute, buckwheat flakes.
I recently tried making buckwheat 'oatmeal' and it is delicious and cooks
the same way, just like the oatmeal that I remembered from 15 years ago.
Buckwheat is GF, I ordered it online from www.glutensolutions.com.

*****************

If the only problem with oats is cross-contanimation, you could buy a
grain flaker and hulled oat groats and make your own oatmeal.
Eliminating cross-contanimation is one of the reasons I grind my own
buckwheat flour (reducing costs is the other)

Later,
Pam
"courage. . .is when you know you're licked
before you begin but you begin anyway
and you see it through no matter what." <Atticus Finch>