From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:49:02 -0400
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Jim Cales wrote:

> My primary question is regarding flaxseed oil that Ray suggests for
> getting more EFA's in your diet.   Is not flax a grain like wheat?  Is
> not flaxseed oil pretty much the pinnacle of technologically processed
> food?

Flax seed is not technically a grain, since grains are considered
to be the seeds of various grasses, and the flax plant is not a
grass.  But it is also true that flax seeds are not really a food
either.  The seeds have mainly a laxative effect, and not much
nutrition is gotten by eating them.  It's doubtful that
paleolithic people ate flax seeds, but since they are a source of
omega-3 fat, many people eat them anyway.

> Another question is regarding root vegetables.  I get the idea with
> potatoes but why would a turnip or a beet be taboo?  Both are quite
> edible raw and even make a tasty snack.   Is not a carrot the same type
> of root veggie?  He says those are OK.

We have discussed this and, as far as I know, there is no
justification for classifying turnips or beets as nonpaleo.
There is little doubt that the paleo diet included root
vegetables such as these when they were available.

Todd Moody