From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 07:51:08 -0400
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Dianne Heins wrote:

> I've been trying to read up on this stuff, and I think I've got a small
> clue, now...  putting it extremely simplistically, is the following
> basically correct?
>
> ALA usually ends up as E2 "not really good for Dianne" prostaglandins
> GLA usually ends up as E1 "much better for Dianne" prostaglandins
> omega-3, fish oil style, aids the production of these

Not quite right.  ALA ends up as EPA/DHA, which are essential.
That is, ALA is the "source" omega-3 fat, the precursor of EPA
and DHA.  It also has the effect of slowing down E2 production.
When you eat fish oils, you're getting pre-converted ALA.  If you
eat ALA, the conversion happens in your body.

You are correct about GLA, although GLA is itself an omega-6 fat.
Note that both E1 and E2 are made from omega-6 fat.  The "source"
fat is LA.

> Meaning I should minimize as much as possible, dietary sources of ALA,
> include some of GLA, and definitely not only get my fish oil and fish, but
> probably work to get better omega-6/omega-3 ratios?

Although some argue that very large amounts of ALA can interfere
with the production of E1 (by inhibiting conversion of LA), it's
not a problem in the amounts that you are likely to use.  So
don't avoid ALA.  Dietary sources of GLA are extremely scarce;
most of it is made in your body.  Supplements (evening primrose
oil) are available, of course.

> Also, I've noticed most "good" sources for monosaturated fats (olive oil,
> walnuts) are high in omega-6...  does this pose a problem in the over all
> equation (as in do I need to try to balance out them as well?)

Well, walnut oil has  about a 5:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3
fats, which should be fine.  My impression is that the research
is inconclusive as to whether it's the ratios that matter or
whether you just need to make sure to get enough omega-3, in
absolute terms.

It's interesting that a recent study in the British Medical
Journal showed monounsaturated fat causing an increase in Lp(a),
which is considered an independent risk factor for heart disease.
I know that Mary Enig also thinks the "politically correct"
monounsaturated fats have been overrated.

Todd Moody