Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 08:41:38 -0400
"M.E. Craddock" <[log in to unmask]> said:
>>Rachel, Different things I read recommend at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber a
day. It looks like the primitive groups you speak of probably ate much more
than that(what would you guess their average intake was?)

My reply:
Some estimates put fiber intake of primitive people in the range of 80 or
100 grams per day.  I recall reading that in an article that used to be on
the paleo diet page, "The World's Biggest Fad Diet," by Dean Essmay.  I
don't have it at my fingertips right now.  Anyway, I think 25 to 30 grams a
day is "small potatoes," meaning not enough!  It's a start, though.

Mary asked:
....should we gradually increase fiber intake ?...and ...

My reply:
I think your aim should be to increase fresh vegetable and fruit
consumption, with a greater emphasis on vegetables, since they contain more
vitamins and minerals and less sugar.  However, I don't hold the view that
modern fruits are "bad," or should be avoided, only that they should not
crowd out vegetables.

Vegetables and fruits contain countless identified, and not yet identified
compounds.  Of those that have been identified, we know that antioxidants,
sterols and sterolins, and many other compounds have tremendous health
benefits.  More and more research is supporting the importance of fresh
produce and proving that it is far superior to grains and beans.  People
need to focus on eating a wide variety of colorful, fresh, preferably
locally grown produce (organic if/when possible) vegetables and fruits.
Your fiber and nutrient intake will automatically go up, if you do this.

For American women, increased fiber and protein consumption is particularly
important.  Fiber binds with excess hormones and bile acids in the
intestines.  American women typically have excessively high estrogen levels,
compared to women in less industrialized parts of the world, which give rise
to a long list of menstral and reproductive disorders, which may culminate
in cancer or unpleasant (unnatural and unnecessary) menopausal symptoms.
Menopause is natural; the way that many American women experience is neither
healthy nor "natural," though it may be "normal," meaning common!!

There is research suggesting that consumping more fiber-rich produce may
help to bring hormone levels down to a healthier level, preventing or
alleviating many common health problems.  This if definitely preferable to
using  progesertone, even so-called "natural" progesterone to "balance" high
estrogen levels, as so many health "experts" are now recommending.  Btw:  at
least three women my husband works with have developed problems (such as
breakthrough bleeding, 2 menstral cycles in one month, and other symptoms)
they did not previously have as a result of using "natural" over the counter
progesterone products, which are touted as "the answer" and "totally safe"
and "natural."  So, I see this as a case where people really need to look at
how they can do more to balance their hormone levels with diet and exercise
Some readers may have benefitted from natural progesterone products.  I do
not want to debate that here, so please read this in context!

Mary said:
>>eating lots and lots of veggies and fruits fills me up so much that I don't
have much room for anything else....smaller amounts of meat and fish....is
this the way to go in your opinion? ..I am just wondering about all of this.
:)

My reply:
Maybe you would benefit by spreading your food out over four feedings rather
than 3, if you are eating three meals. If you are eating only twice a day,
you could increase to three meals.  I would suggest adding fresh leafy
greens and other fibrous vegetables to every meal, including breakfast.  I
don't see any problem with eating smaller amounts of meat and fish and
larger portions of produce.  There are people, including many women, who
will find that they cannot eat unlimited meat and fat and feel/look good.
Most women are fairly inactive and can easily overshoot their calorie needs
if/when they eat large amounts of meat and fat, at the expense of
vegetables.  (As a tall, lanky guy, who is also diabetic, Ray has a
metabolism unlike many of the rest of us!  As a man, he does not have the
typically high estrogen levels that most American women have either!)

I would suggest that you plan to include both plant and animal source foods
at each meal.  You might want to experiment with including 4 ounces of meat,
fish or fowl, or 3 eggs in a meal, served with 2 or 3 fist sized portions of
vegetables (salad or cooked leafy greens with a side of some colorful
vegetable and/or fruit), and a modest amount of added fat or oil.  If you
are eating a lot of nuts or seeds, or bacon or sausage, which are very fat
and calorie dense, if you reduce these, you will likely find that you have
more room for vegetables and fruits.  You could also use fruit for a snack,
if you are not in the habit of doing that now.

Hope this helps!

Rachel