From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:01:24 +0100
>I have Larry enrolled in a dance class and he is doing well in it as
>regards timing, foot placement, and in all ways except strength. The
>teacher said he needs stronger legs. I am walking with him for an hour a
>day  along a creek on mostly level terrain. I am looking into buying a
>treadmill for him. Any ideas? They talk on the various learning disability
>lists that yeast toxicity weakens muscles. I have yeast reduced to the
>greatest extent possible without using strong pharmaceuticals. So, would
>more exercise help?? The teacher said he is not able to lift very well and
>if you know Irish dancing,there is a lot of lift involved. He has perfect
>timing, executes the steps well, just lacking lift. He loves being on stage
>and loves performing. He has done well lin competition but is now at a
>level where he needs some lift. Thanks, Mary

Yeah; don't buy a treadmill. He'll just learn to hate it. For kids, working
out has to be fun. There is a school of thought called "Plyometrics", based
on teaching the muscles to recruit the strength they already possess, while
building more. It's about learning to rebound after loading the muscles, as
in jumping, where the legs need to bend and then quickly straighten to
propel the body. This can be of great benefit, I would think, in dance.
It's used a lot by sprinters, skiers, basketball players, football guys,
and bicycle track racers, etc. There is a book, "Jumping into Plyometrics",
by the more-or-less chief prctitioner of it, Donald A. Chu. (ISBN
0-88011-443-6) He also has a clinic in Castro Valley (CA) called Asher
Sports Injury Clinic. He's a genuinely nice guy; you could call him for a
consult.

Barring this, walk up and down hills, or play Frisbee or something where he
has to exert with short, quick bursts of speed. There are also some
teachers of movement who work with kids who are challenged in muscle
control; you might be able to find one in your area. They teach movement to
music, walking mazes, simple tasks that develop control, etc. Have fun, and
keep it fun for Lar, too.

ginny and Tomo, who doesn't much care where his back feet go.

All stunts performed without a net!