Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:34:53 -0400
Clelia wrote:
>>I have been suffering with thyroid imbalance for a number of years ALWAYS
>>refused to go on HRT for it because of many personal reasons.  One of them
>>the possibility of osteoporosis.  Over a period of time and lots of repeated

My response:
I wondered if you are confusing HRT (which generally refers to hormone
replacement therapy, estrogen in particular, using artificial/synthetic
hormones) with thryoid support using a whole foods product.  The former (use
of synthetic hormones) may increase your risk of osteoporosis; the latter
(use of usp thyroid:  whole dessicated thyroid) can, from all I've read,
REDUCE your risk of osteoporosis.

Synthroid (synthetic thyroid or T4) is not the same as whole thyroid.
According the Lita Lee, Ph.D., "Synthroid is cardio toxic, shrinks the
thyroid gland, suppresses cellular respiration, suppresses the pituitary and
rarely improves symptoms, except in very healthy people."

Lee also says, "Synthroid (synthetic T4) CAUSES bone loss. Thyroid glandular
PREVENTS bone loss because it promotes both new bone formation and the
dissolution of old bones.  Both are required for healthy bones.  As well,
thyroid converts cholesterol to pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA.
Progesterone promotes new bone formation."

Whole dessicated thyroid (such as Armour brand) is not the same as
synthroid.   Armour thyroid is a whole food; most others are synthetic and
or partial/fractionated.  Besides Armour there are a few other brand names
that are similarly concentrated.  I think Langer's book mentions the names.
I don't have it handy at the moment.  You might also want to check out
information on natural progesterone oil.

If you want to learn more about these thyroid issues check out the two books
on thyroid I mentioned in other posts today.  One book was by Langer; the
other was by Barnes.  You'd need to find an MD who is into using Armour and
treating more on symptoms and temperature than TSH readings, or an ND
licensed in a state that allows him/her to dispense such things are usp
thyroid.

Long-term, undiagnosed, untreated or improperly treated hypothyroidism can
be devastating, as you already know.  I hope you find the support you need.

E-mail me privately and I may be able to tell you of a practitioner in your
area who may be able to help.   Did you say once that you are in Michigan?
If you contact the Broda Barnes foundation, they can send you a list of
practitioners who may be sympathetic.  (203) 261-2101.

Best of success to you,

Rachel